We partner with state and local organizations to offer basic needs services. Please contact one of our community centers to apply for social services or receive a referral for outside help. All our sites offer social worker services.

Financial Help

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families - Federal Program

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides financial help for children and their parents or relatives who are living with them. Monthly cash payments help pay for food, clothing, housing, utilities, furniture, transportation, telephone, laundry, household equipment, medical supplies not paid for by Medicaid and other basic needs. The amount of the TANF payment depends on family size and income.

Apply online now.

Food Programs

We have a bread food donation program and food pantries at some of our centers. Please contact your nearest community center to learn more.

Meals on Wheels Senior Lunch Program - Partner Service

Meals on Wheels delivers nutritious meals to homebound older adults and people with disabilities.

The Congregate Meal Program provides a place for older adults to gather for games, physical activity, conversation and a shared nutritious lunchtime meal.


SNAP Food Benefits - Federal Program

SNAP food benefits (used to be called food stamps) helps people with low incomes and resources buy the food they need for good health.

Visit Visit YourTexasBenefits.com to learn how to apply online, through a Health and Human Services Commission benefit office, or by calling 2-1-1 for help.


Rent/Mortgage Payment Assistance

Emergency financial assistance with rent (including first month's rent and rent for transitional housing), and mortgage payments. More...

Utility Payment Assistance

Get help paying utility your utility bills. More...

Home Repairs & Energy Efficiency

Need help with basic home repairs or making your home more energy efficient? Our weatherization and home repair services may be able to help.

Job Search

We offer computers for help with job searches at select locations. Please contact your nearest community center to learn more.

Goodwill Job Search Assistance - Partner Service

Goodwill's Job Source programs help individuals with barriers or disabilities find employment through basic job-related services. Goodwill's placement specialists and case managers will put together a customized plan of services for each participant and continue to work with each individual once they are working.

Health Insurance/Medical

Medical Access Program from Central Health - Community Resource

Visit Central Health for information on eligibility screening for the Medical Access Program (MAP). MAP is coordinated by Central Health and no walk-in eligibility appointments are available. Please call Central Health at (512) 978-8130 for more information.

CHIP and Children’s Medicaid - State Program

Children in Texas without health insurance may be able to get low cost or free health coverage from the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) or Children’s Medicaid. Both programs cover office visits, prescription drugs, dental care, eye exams, glasses, and much more.

Texas Women’s Health Program - State Program

The Women's Health Program provides low-income women with family exams, related health screening and birth control. Learn how to apply.

When can I receive help?

Same Day Assistance

  • Clothing closet (some sites)
  • Bread & food donation program (some sites)
  • Food pantry
  • Indigent Burial (Downtown only - please call for appointment at (512) 854-4120)
  • Job search computer access (some sites)

Services by Appointment (Waiting List)