Our organization strives to optimize self-sufficiency for families and individuals in safe and healthy communities. We work to achieve those goals by providing services either directly or through private and not-for-profit agencies.
The Family Support Services Division of HHS&VS is the largest provider of basic needs assistance in Travis County. Services are provided at seven community centers - two of the sites are located in central Austin while the other five serve the rural areas of the county.
Family Support Services provides emergency financial assistance with rent (including first month's rent and rent for transitional housing), and mortgage payments. Assistance cannot pay for rent deposits or late fees.
Family Support Services provides emergency financial assistance with utility. Depending on several factors, age of household members, disability status of household members, number of household member’s household income must fall within one of the categories to be eligible for assistance.
Eligiblity & Applying
We determine eligibility for services at our local community centers.
Your eligibility for assistance can depend on these factors (for more detailed information, visit the program area you are interested in to find individual eligibility criteria):
- Travis County residency
- Resources/assets (i.e. property, savings)
- Disability status
- Age and number of household members
- How often you receive help
- Your utility provider/landlord
- Extreme temperature dates
- Utility disconnection status
- Proof of participation in workforce development activities
Federal Poverty Annual Income Guidelines - 2014
|For each additional household member add:|
Applications are accepted at all seven locations from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Please include as many of the required documents as possible when you turn in your application.
Once received, your application will be placed on the waiting list for that site. When your turn in line comes up, a case worker will call you to discuss your application and schedule an appointment.
Your application is good for 30 days. If you have not heard from us within 30 days and you are still in need of assistance, you may call us to have your application extended for another 30 days or you may come back in to reapply.
- Photo ID (drivers' license, military ID, State ID, etc.)
- Social Security Card & Numbers for ALL household members who have them
- Proof of ALL household income for the past 30 days (check stubs, Social Security award letters for current year, unemployment, child support, workers comp, Workforce Solutions registration printout, etc.)
- For utility assistance bring your current utility bill or termination notice
- For rent or mortgage assistance bring proof of amount owed (letter from landlord, mortgage statement, etc.)
- Proof of Travis County residency
Failure to provide the required documents will delay or deny the processing of your request for assistance.
- Applicants are required to complete an application at any of the seven centers in Travis County.
- Travis County residents may apply at any of the community centers for basic needs services, utility assistance, food pantry etc.
- Applicants unable to visit centers can call for an application to be mailed, faxed, or emailed or send a family or friend on their behalf with their photo ID, letter of authorization and application.
Social Services and Supports
Family Support Services has a social worker at each of our seven community centers who provide clinical case management services to any residents of Travis County who want to develop a plan and create change in their lives. All Travis County residents are eligible to receive social work services; however eligibility criteria do apply for financial assistance and other programs.
A Social Worker can help in many ways, including:
- CONNECTING you to community programs
- Looking at your unique situation, and needs
- LISTENING to your concerns and providing supportive counseling
- Helping you to plan and develop goals
- ASSISTING you with improving your coping and problem-solving skills
- Teaching and practicing budgeting and money management skills with you
- ADVOCATING for you with utility companies, landlords, school systems, and other service providers
- Improving the quality of life for individuals, families and children
Case Management Services
- Information and Referral for employment, housing, medical, mental health needs and more
Goal Planning and Assessment
- Assist with developing long range goals
- Help applying for SSI/SSDI, Medicaid, SNAP, Disability Fare Card and other services
Brief Counseling Services
- Crisis Intervention
- Individual/family supportive counseling
- Youth Services
Community Outreach Services
- Participate in community events
- Provide presentations at neighborhood centers, school and community meetings
- Services may be provided in your home, at our office, or at a place in the community
Please call or visit one of our centers to talk with a social worker.