Travis County requires that anyone requesting indigent burial assistance first contact a contracted funeral home of their choice and try to make financial arrangements using their own resources. A written referral from the funeral home including any documentation required by the county will need to accompany each applicant's request prior to meeting with Travis County burial staff.
- If the legal next of kin lives out of the county, an application may be made by fax, email IndigentBurials@traviscountytx.gov, or regular mail.
- Contact the Travis County Community Center at Palm Square at (512) 854-4120 to schedule an appointment.
- Walk-ins are not guaranteed to be seen due to scheduling issues. It is best to call to schedule a time to meet with a caseworker
- Every effort will be made to see the applicant the same day of inquiry though it may take up to two days to see a family due to scheduling issues.
- Information will be collected by the caseworker regarding the decedent's income and resources and well as the legal next of kin's household's income and resources. Other eligibility information will be collected as well. The applicant will be given a reasonable amount of time to get all of the information needed to determine eligibility if that information is not available at the time of the first contact.