Request for the creation of new courts

• SarahEckhardt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #246 by SarahEckhardt
Request for the creation of new courts was created by SarahEckhardt
Colleagues:

As you recall, the vote of the Commissioners Court on January 31 was to ask the Legislature for two civil courts (one in 2017 and one in 2019). Since then, the criminal judges have requested that their needs be addressed as well.

Yesterday (Wednesday 2/22) Senator Watson informed me that one of the District Judges had reached out to him about adding an additional criminal court. The District Judge’s inquiry would bring the Travis County request for courts to three – one civil court in 2017, another civil court in 2019 and a criminal court in 2019. The Senator asked if the Commissioners Court would support a three-court request. He said he needed to know by 10 am this morning. After consulting with the Legislative Subcommittee of the Court, I do not believe there is a super majority in favor of a request for three courts.

Perceiving a changing consensus among the Commissioners, I have asked the Senator if our original request for two civil courts could be amended to one civil in 2017 and one criminal in 2019. I will have more information for the Commissioners Court’s consideration on Tuesday 2/28.

– SE

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 4.352 seconds

TAX RATE: TRAVIS COUNTY ADOPTED A TAX RATE THAT WILL RAISE MORE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS THAN LAST YEAR’S TAX RATE. THE TAX RATE WILL EFFECTIVELY BE RAISED BY 3.5 PERCENT AND WILL RAISE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS ON A $100,000 HOME BY APPROXIMATELY $9.12.