There are three ways to obtain a protective order:

  1. Represent yourself in the lawsuit; or
  2. Hire a private attorney; or
  3. Seek out a non-profit agency in town that provides FREE representation for protective orders.

Who provides FREE legal assistance for protective orders?

How do I apply for a Protective Order at the Travis County Attorney’s Office?

You must apply in person at our office. We are located at 314 W. 11Th Street, Suite 300. We are open Monday-Friday between 8am to 5pm. There is metered parking around the building, bring quarters for the meters.

Please note, that after the initial screening it may take a couple of hours to complete the paperwork.

We provide services in Spanish.

What do I need to bring with me to apply for a Protective Order?

These items are REQUIRED:

  • A valid government issued ID (Driver’s license, Military ID, etc.)
  • A current and valid address for the person that you need to have stay away from you.

These items are helpful:

  • Copies of divorce and/or custody agreements
  • Social security number of your child(ren)
  • Names & addresses of your child(ren)’s school
  • CPS caseworker and/or case number