The U.S. State Department's website contains helpful information on what type of passport to acquire.
NOTICE: Due to the heavy volume of requests, the U.S. State Department is experiencing a delay in passport application processing. We encourage you to apply as early as possible.
NEW! The Travis County District Clerk's office now offers passport photo services along with passport processing!
Passport processing location:
Why Should I Consider Getting a Passport?
A passport allows a citizen of one country, in this case the United States, to travel into another country or countries. It is an official government document issued by the Secretary of State that ensures the bearer is a citizen or a national of the United States and is legally authorized to travel internationally and in accordance with international law and practices.
Keep in mind that the law regarding out-of-country travel is changing and that you are likely to need a passport to travel outside the United States in the future, even if you were able to travel without one in the past.
Getting your passport now - while it's on your mind - is a good idea. Waiting until the last minute to get or renew a passport can cost extra money and may even cause you to cancel or delay your trip. The U.S. State Department is currently experiencing a delay in passport application processing.
How do I Apply?
Following these steps will ensure the passport application process goes smoothly:
1. Prepare your paperwork
The U.S. State Department has an online form you can print to create your passport application.
If you don't want to print the online form, you can obtain an application from the Travis County District Clerk when you come in to apply for the passport. NOTE: Do not sign your passport application until you are instructed to do so when submitting it. You will be signing the application under oath, and the district clerk will be giving you that oath.
If you are applying for your first passport and you were born in the United States, you will need a certified copy of your birth certificate. Certified copies of birth certificates for persons born in Texas can be obtained at Austin's Office of Vital records located at 1100 W. 49th Street, Austin, TX 78756 (Open Monday-Friday 8 am – 5 pm) or online/by mail through the Texas Bureau of Vital Statistics. When requesting a birth certificate, please ask for the long form version. See example:
If you were born in another state, you will need to contact the government of that state on how to obtain a certified birth certificate.
Persons born outside the United States need to obtain one of the following:
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
If you are unable to obtain a birth certificate, there are other options available on how to provide proof of citizenship on the U.S. State Department's website.
ONE of the following documents must be presented when you come in to apply:
- Current and valid:
- Driver's license
- Government ID: city, state or federal, OR
- Military ID: military and dependents
- Previous U.S. passport
- Naturalization Certificate
If you are unable to provide any of these documents, other proof of identity options are listed at the State Department's website.
You can now save time by having your passport photo taken at the district clerk's office when you present your application. The fee for a passport photo is $10.00. Payment for the photo is accepted in cash or by credit card. If you choose to have your passport photo taken elsewhere, a single color photo is required.
Passport photo requirements:
- The photo must be 2x2 inches in size and be no more than 6 months old.
- Your full face should be visible (no headgear) and be between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches long from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Wear normal street clothing (no uniform unless it is daily religious attire) and any glasses, hearing devices, wigs, or similar articles that you typically wear.
- Dark glasses are not allowed unless you have a medical certificate.
- The background should be white or off-white.
If you are using a digital photo, make sure the print is photo-quality and very clear. The photo paper should be thin enough to be pressed onto the passport and should not contain any special finishes or embossing.
Passport applications require two separate payments:
1. Payment to U. S. Department of State
- Traditional passport (booklet): $110 for adults, $80 for minors (15 years of age and younger)
- Limited-use passport (card): $30 for adults, $15 for minors
- Both traditional and limited-use passports: $140 adults, $95 for minors
- Payment must be in the form of personal check or money order and is submitted with the application.
2. Payment to Travis County District Clerk
The following fees apply to both the traditional passport (booklet) and the new limited-use passport (card):
- Application with photo supplied by applicant: $25 OR
- Application with photo supplied by district clerk: $35
Payment must be in the form of cash, check, money order or credit card. Checks will not be accepted for expedited passports.
2. Submit the paperwork
If you are applying for a new passport:
Bring all above original materials to the Jury Office: 5501 Airport (North Entrance), Rm 220, Austin, TX 78751and ask for the passport clerk, who will:
- Verify your identity.
- Ask you to sign the application form DSP-11 under oath.
- Sign and seal the application as the execution officer.
- Accept payment for the application and execution fees.
- Submit your application, photos, and payment directly to the State Department.
If your minor child also needs a passport, he or she will need to appear in person accompanied by both parents or legal guardians. Both parents' proof of identity will be required on behalf of the minor. If one parent or guardian is not available, the unavailable parent may provide the parent who will accompany the child with a notarized affidavit form and copy of proof of identity to be submitted with the application.
|Passport Processing Fee (charged on all passport applications)||$ 25.00|
|Passport application, applicant age 16 and over||$ 110.00|
|Passport applicant, applicant under age 16||$ 80.00|
|Expedited Passport Fee||$ 60.00|
|Returned Check Fee||$ 30.00|