Skip to main content

Disaster assistance may help you and members of your household who are affected by a disaster take care of necessary expenses and serious needs through resources provided by county, state, and federal agencies as well as local voluntary and non-governmental agencies.

FEMA Assistance

In the event that a county disaster has been presidentially declared a disaster area, disaster survivors living within the county may qualify for assistance from FEMA. Visit to see if your area has been declared.
The first step to receive assistance from FEMA is to register your loss by contacting FEMA. Survivors can start registering for FEMA Assistance by calling 1-800-621-3362 or online at FEMA inspectors will begin making appointments with residents that applied for assistance.
Yes, FEMA and federal agencies may be able to provide assistance in the event that a survivor is under-insured, needs help financing repairs and construction, needs legal services. Federal assistance may help survivors with needs that are not covered by homeowner or flood insurance. In order to become eligible to federal assistance, you must register by calling 1-800-621-3362 or online at
When a survivor registers with FEMA and becomes eligible for a Damaged Housing Inspection, an inspection request is sent to a FEMA contractor inspector. The inspector contacts the survivor to set up an appointment for a time and date and also goes over what documentation needs to be provided for proof of residency. Then the inspector meets with the survivor at the residence and performs their inspection to document damages. The inspector will tell the survivor what they can except from FEMA after the inspection.

Depending on the needs of Travis County, some of the services may include:

  • Guidance regarding disaster recovery
  • Clarification of any written correspondence received
  • Housing Assistance and Rental Resource information
  • Answers to questions, resolution to problems and referrals to agencies that may provide further assistance
  • Status of applications being processed by FEMA
  • SBA program information if there is a SBA Representative at the Disaster Recovery Center site
  • Crisis Counseling Program
  • Disaster Legal Services
  • Disaster Unemployment
  • Funeral Assistance - Individuals and Households Program
  • More Information
Travis County will work with local agencies to identify services needed by our community.


The Capital Area Council of Governments (CAPCOG) has deployed Text to 9-1-1 service region wide. Text to 9-1-1 is the ability to send a cellphone text message to a local 9-1-1 call center. It is especially beneficial to those who are hard of hearing, deaf, or speech-impaired, but residents should only text 9-1-1 when calling 9- 1-1 is unsafe or not possible.

Examples of when texting 9-1-1 would be beneficial include:

  • The caller cannot speak due to a threat, illness or medical condition
  • The caller has poor reception and can only send text messages
  • Phone lines and cellphone towers are overwhelmed and only texts can get through

Text to 9-1-1 only is available in English. However, 9-1-1 voice calls can be processed in multiple languages, because all CAPCOG 9-1-1 call centers provide emergency interpretive services. Text to 9-1-1 does not work if the sender texts using group messages, emojis, pictures or videos. Apps that text other app users (such as WhatsApp) or texting via social media (such as Facebook Messenger) do not support Text to 9-1-1.

The service is now activated on the four major cellphone service providers —Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, Sprint, and T-Mobile — in Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Fayette, Hays, Lee, Llano, Travis and Williamson counties. A full Q&A about text to 9-1-1, as well as helpful PSAs are available on CAPCOG’s Web site

Generally the County will not come onto private property to remove materials. In the event of a county declared disaster, the Commissioners Court may authorize debris removal but it will be the resident’s responsibility to bring disaster related debris off private property and onto the county right-of-way or placed in dumpsters in the county right-of-way.
Only storm debris will be collected. Trees and other vegetation that provide habitat for wildlife will not be removed.
For vehicles or mobile homes that create a health and safety issue as determined by the Austin/Travis County Health Department, a Request for Assistance Form must be completed by the vehicle owner and by any property owner whose property must be crossed by the County to retrieve the vehicle or mobile home. A clear title to the vehicle or mobile home must be provided. If none exists then guidance from the County Attorney’s Office will be sought to determine the appropriate process for retrieving and disposing of the vehicle or mobile home.
Call 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 for assistance. There are various types of assistance available from local social services and disaster response voluntary agencies.
Property owners or contractors can make application anytime online at My Permit Now or at 700 Lavaca, 5th floor any business day between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM. At a minimum, a contractor estimate for repair is required. Property owners do not have to use a contractor to complete the repair. A County inspection of the property is not required to apply for a permit.
It may be possible to have permit fees waived for income qualified property owners who did not have flood insurance; county staff will handle each request on a case-by-case basis. Property owners or contractors can make application anytime online at My Permit Now or at 700 Lavaca, 5th floor any business day between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM. In the project description, please note that your permit is related to flood repair and you are seeking a fee waiver. At a minimum, a contractor estimate for repair is required.

The county does not do any type of pest management or extraction. We pick up dead animals from the county right-of-way (contact [email protected]  or 512-854-9433) and TCSO has people that pick up living livestock from the public right-of-way. (If you feel it is an emergency, call 911. For all non-emergencies, contact the Travis County Sheriff’s Office at (512) 974-0845 OPT #3.

The City of Austin 311 helpline can also connect citizens to pick-up services for a dead animal. Vector control information, including information about rodents and mosquito control, is available online at The City of Austin Public Health website. There is a concern regarding standing water, mosquitos and the potential spread of West Nile virus. The City of Austin 311 helpline, as well as the Centers for Disease Control  is also a resource for this information.

Property owners should first remove all of the wet materials from the structure. The structure should cleaned and be allowed to dry completely. A permit must be obtained prior to rebuilding the structure. Property owners or contractors can make application anytime online at My Permit Now or at 700 Lavaca, 5th floor any business day between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM.
Travis County Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program funds an owner occupied home repair program for homes outside the floodplain. Meals on Wheels and More (MOWAM) is the administrator of the program and have limited funds at this time, but are accepting applications. Additional CDBG funding is planned to be moved to the program to increase its capacity, but the process will take at least 60 days to do so. To learn more about the program, visit the Travis County website at: Current CDBG Projects  or you may contact MOWAM at 512-628-8171 or [email protected]. Please note this program includes a forgivable loan of up to $24,999 and is fully forgiven after 5 years.

During the early stages of the event the priority is safety and to keep roads and bridges open for emergency service providers and evacuees to the extent possible and placing barricades at low water crossings. As the event moves into the recovery stage the following services were or are still being provided:

  • Remove storm debris from public property to maintain accessibility and support recovery;
  • Provide information and respond to requests for TNR assistance;
  • Accept and process applications for permits, buy-outs, and debris removal from private property;
  • Replace temporary repairs to public roads and bridges;
  • Provide dumpster services through its contractor;
  • Repair currently closed San Antonio Road bridge;
  • Provide 24/7 response to County road and bridge safety issues as they arise;
  • Perform damage assessments of private and public properties (assist FEMA as needed.)
The Travis County Department of Health and Human Services and Veteran’s Services prides a variety of services through the Family Support Services division. Their website is a good place to start to see what services are available: Travis County Family Support Services. Citizens can also call the 211 Helpline Navigation Center anytime. They provide simple, one-call access to call specialists and more than 30,000 nonprofit and government resources.
There are various types of assistance. Generally, residents should be encouraged to register with Austin Disaster Relief Network (ADRN) at 512-806-0800. They can help with anything from volunteers to help clean up to help with temporary housing. Volunteer organizations are there to fill in the gaps and provide assistance where the Government or private/Federal flood insurance cannot. The 211 Helpline is also always available 24/7 as a resource.
If you feel it is an emergency, call 9-1-1. For all non-emergencies, contact the Travis County Sheriff’s Office at (512) 974-0845 OPT #3
You can buy CapMetro transit passes in person at the CapMetro Transit store and retail outlets like HEB and Randall’s, or you can go to their website for more information at CapMetro.
It has been past practice to have the Texas Department of Public Safety at the Flood Assistance Center to provide new driver licenses for affected residents. There have also been contacts or other agencies as needed. Caseworkers and Social Workers know how to assist residents with the necessary referrals.
The City of Austin provides sheltering for pets at any time we have shelters opens for people. On a case-by-case basis, pets are permitted to stay in shelter while the people seek housing.
This answer is dependent upon individual circumstances. We would refer a family to Social Work Services.
The impact of immigration status will vary from program to program. Federal programs/funds will require citizenship questions.

Property in the County/State/City

Someone’s property can only be in the city limits (ie: City of Austin) or outside city limits (County). If you are within a city limits, you have stricter zoning, are subject to City ordinances, and pay City taxes in order to receive city services like City Fire and Police. In the County, you do not have zoning and do not pay city taxes, but receive all County services such as Sheriff’s Office or Emergency Service Districts.
The Cities determine which areas to annex based on the tax revenue generated versus the cost of services to provide.

Call local City government, if in a City/Town/Village, etc.
Dial 311 or 512-974-2000

If not in a City/Town/Village, call their County government
Travis County TNR 512-854-9383

Look up their property taxing jurisdiction in Travis Central Apprasial Distrcit.

Look up their location in our Maps

Look up their location in the City of Austin maps

Call local City government, dial 311
City of Austin 512-974-2000
Submit request at 311.

Call Travis County TNR 512-854-9383
Email [email protected]

The City of Austin has Spanish and/or language line

Travis County TNR has Spanish speakers available

Roads in the County/State/City

If a roadway has a number in its name like RM2222, FM973, US183, then it is a State highway maintained by TxDOT. All other roads are either County or City depending on if the roadway is located with City limits or outside city limits.
When a road is County/State/City, which means those respective entities maintain those roads specifically (Travis County, TxDOT, City of Austin.) There is no cross-maintenance between those entities. It is all based on funding sources for each jurisdiction.

For roads inside a City, call the local information line, dial 311
Alternate number for the City of Austin 512-974-2000
Submit request with 311.

For roads outside a city.
Call Travis County TNR Roads Dispatch 512-854-9433
Email [email protected] 

For general overview map of County maintained roads our maps.

For a specific road location of County maintained roads* see our map viewer 

For highways and tollroads, Call TxDOT 24 hour line at 512-974-0883. For TxDOT Spanish Speakers, Call the Austin District Main Office from 8 AM to 5 PM at 512-832-7000">TxDot.

The City of Austin has Spanish and/or language line.

Travis County Dispatch has limited access to Spanish speakers.

TxDOT Austin District has limited access to Spanish speakers

tcem black rgb logo module


For emergencies, call 911

For info and to report non-emergency weather damage, call 311

Social Media

facebook Twitter

Emergency Management


Emergency Operation Center

EOC Activated with Local Declaration of Disaster



logo tc seal
©  Travis County. All Rights Reserved.