General questions about what probation is.

Questions about phone numbers, office hours, directions and buses.

Conditions Of Probation

While on probation, you are expected to follow your conditions, and not break the law or use alcohol and/or drugs. You may also be ordered to complete classes and programs. Below are frequently asked questions about conditions of probation.

What about office visits?

You must be on time for each office visit and you should ask your Probation Officer each month what paperwork you need to bring when you report for your next visit. Reporting to your Officer is very important.

Will I be tested for drugs or alcohol?

You will be submitting breathalyzers and urine specimens that test for the use of drugs and/or alcohol. Those tests will be required by your officer and/or the Court.

What is electronic monitoring (ELM)?

If ordered, you must wear an ankle bracelet for the length of time required by the Judge. You must have a home telephone. While on ELM, you will only be allowed to leave your home as approved by your officer and/or the Court.

What is an ignition interlock device?

It is a piece of equipment that you must have installed in your vehicle if ordered by the Court. It is used to verify you are not using alcohol and driving. If you are ordered to have an Ignition Interlock device installed, but do not drive or own a vehicle, you must sign a Notarized Affidavit swearing you will not drive while on probation.

What must I do if ordered to complete DNA testing?

If ordered, you must give a blood sample when scheduled by your officer. This test will cost $25.00.

What if I have a drug/alcohol problem or have been ordered to complete treatment?

You will have an alcohol or drug evaluation before you can start treatment. The evaluation determines the type of treatment you complete. Your officer will tell when to begin treatment. You will also be told the treatment co-payment you will be required to pay.

What if I must complete a DWI class?

You will be referred to a program for DWI education. The DWI class must be completed within 180 days of the date you started probation. You will be required to pay the entire cost of these classes.

What if I need help with my education or would like to get a GED?

There are a number of local educational programs. If you have trouble reading and writing, your officer can refer you to a basic adult literacy class. If you would like to learn how to speak English better, your officer can refer you to an English as a second language class. If you do not have a high school diploma, your officer can refer you to GED preparation and testing. To enroll in one of these programs, see your officer.

How do I complete community service restitution (CSR) hours?

Your officer will refer you to complete your CSR hours. Those hours will either be completed at a Department approved nonprofit agency or through our Department’s CSR Work Crew. If you have any questions about your CSR requirement, ask your officer.

What if I am ordered to complete a class not listed above?

There are several other programs provided in the community to help you. There are anger management classes, sex offender therapy, theft classes, etc. Your officer will refer you to the classes.

Can I leave town?

You can only leave town if approved by your Officer. Since you need permission to travel outside the County, you should talk to your officer about any travel plans well in advance. If approved, your officer will give you a travel permit.

Can I move?

If you plan to move outside Travis County, you must get permission from your Officer. If permission is given, your Officer will make arrangements to have you report to a Probation Office in the County/State where you will reside.

NOTE: Your Probation Officer must always know where you are living. You will need to get permission from your Officer to move at any time.

What must I do if I change jobs?

If you change jobs, or are no longer employed, you must notify your Officer immediately.

Can I bring children to my office visits?

No, children cannot come with you to an office visit. Some office visits may take up to 2 hours to complete, depending on the purpose of the visit. You need to try and find someone to watch your children prior to your office visit.

What happens if I violate my conditions (rules) of probation?

If you choose not to follow the conditions of your Probation, your officer will take action. This action could include requesting a warrant for your arrest, the Judge could require you to return to court to add more conditions to your probation, or your probation could be revoked and you could be sent to jail.

Can I get off probation early?

The law does not permit Early Discharge for some offenses. However, for others, you can hire an attorney to petition the Court for an early discharge. See your attorney for more information.

If I have firearms and ammunition, can I keep them and/or buy more?

Your officer will discuss this with you at your office visit. You need to ask your officer for specifics.

Can I still vote?

Misdemeanor(Not Theft): Yes
Misdemeanor (Theft): Yes
Felony (deferred): Yes
Felony (regular): No
Discharged: Yes, but must register

Can I serve on a jury?

Misdemeanor(Not Theft): Yes
Misdemeanor (Theft): No if Criminal Trial, Yes for Civil Trial if Deferred
Felony (deferred): No
Felony (regular): No
Discharged: Yes *

* Exception: A person who is on supervision for a felony DWI, Involuntary Manslaughter, Intoxication Manslaughter, or a State Jail Felony offense may never serve on a jury.

Rodolfo Pérez, Jr., Director

411 W 13th St,
7th Floor, Ste 722,
Austin, TX 78701

McKinney Falls Phone: (512) 854-2723
McKinney Falls Fax: (512) 854-4612
Burnet Road Phone: (512) 854-9775
Burnet Road Fax: (512) 854-5433
Central Phone: (512) 854-4600
Central Fax: (512) 854-4606
Voice-4-Net: (800) 451-3887

Mailing Address:
PO Box 2245, Austin, TX, 78768-2245

Contact information