Eligibility Requirements

Compensation benefits require that your disability be service-connected. You must also have separated or been discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions.

Disability Compensation

Your disability must be the result of an injury or disease that was incurred or aggravated while on active duty or active duty for training; or from injury, heart attack, or stroke that occurred during inactive duty training. A disability can apply to physical conditions, such as Lou Gehrig's Disease, as well as mental health conditions, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

Surviving spouses of a Service member who died on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty for training may be eligible for DIC. Children may be eligible for DIC if not included in the surviving spouse's DIC benefit.

Application Process

For assistance with claims, a Travis County Veteran Service Officer can meet with you and assist in filing your claim. You can also apply for disability compensation yourself by obtaining an eBenefits account and applying online. When applying for compensation benefits, you must have access to the following information:

  • Discharge or separation papers (DD214 or equivalent)
  • Medical evidence (doctor and hospital reports)
  • Dependency records (marriage and children's birth certificates)

Alternatively, you can print and mail-in VA Form 21-526EZ, Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits or call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 to have the form mailed to you. The forms are also available in our office at 100 N. IH-35, Suite 2400 Austin, TX 78701 (Map).

Service members may be able to receive disability compensation benefits sooner if you apply prior to your discharge from service through the Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) or Quick Start pre-discharge programs.

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

VA Form 21-534EZ, Application for DIC, Death Pension, and/or Accrued Benefits and mail it to the Houston Regional office at:

VA Regional Office
One Veterans Plaza
701 Clay Avenue
Waco, Texas 76799

Special Monthly Compensation

The VA will automatically award special monthly compensation if your disability qualifies. To apply for SMC if you are housebound or required the aid and attendance of someone to perform daily living functions complete a VA Form 21-2680 and mail it to the address in Waco, TX above.