Merrilltown Cemetery

The Merrilltown Cemetery was recognized with a 2009 Texas Historic Cemetery Marker, and the dedication ceremony was held Saturday, April 9, 2011.

Captain Nelson Merrell established the Merrilltown Community northwest of Austin in 1837. He served as Travis County Commissioner, assisted with the construction of Congress Avenue and is recognized as a Texas Ranger.

He deeded some of his property to trustees of School District #9 in 1856 for use as a burial ground. He also deeded land for a church and school. The oldest marked grave in the cemetery is of Julia Merrell (d. 1852), the young daughter of Nelson and Rachel Merrell.

Merrilltown residents maintained the grounds until 1982 when the Round Rock School District was named the cemetery’s trustee. In 1996, the Calvary Worship Center assumed this charitable trust from the school district, and today continues to care for the burial ground.

Littig Cemetery

The Littig Cemetery was recognized with a 2010 Texas Historic Cemetery Marker, and the dedication ceremony was held Saturday, October 1, 2011.

The town of Littig was laid out in 1883 along the route of Houston and Texas Central Railway on land donated by former slave Jackson Morrow, and was named for A.B. Littig, who surveyed the townsite.

In 1891, Thomas B. and Mary E. Fowler sold two acres to trustees George Morrow, Alex Alexander and Andrew J. Campbell for the establishment of a cemetery at this location. The earliest marked burial is that of Abba Moore, who died in 1895. Many former slaves, including Jackson Morrow and members of his family are buried at this site.

Although the town’s population declined during the mid-20th century, Littig Cemetery remains active and serves as a reminder of an important Travis County Freedmen’s Town.

Confederate Men’s Home

The site of the Confederate Men’s Home was recognized with a 2010 Texas Historic Subject Marker, and the dedication ceremony was held Saturday, October 22, 2011.

The Confederate Men’s Home began in 1884 as a project of the John B. Hood Camp of United Confederate Veterans and was intended as a residence for disabled and indigent Confederate veterans.

In 1886, the camp purchased sixteen acres with a two-story building at 1600 West Sixth Street, and the Confederate Men’s Home opened later that year. The site eventually grew to 26 acres and included a large administration building, living quarters, a hospital and private cottages.

More than 2,000 Confederate veterans were admitted to the home, which later expanded to include veterans of other wars as well as mental health patients.

The home operated until 1963, when residents were transferred to Kerrville. The site’s buildings were razed in 1970.