Skip to main content
Commissioners Court (CATAA-lyst) (Upcoming Agenda Items)

School Zone - Speed Limits - Lake Travis ISD - Public Hearing

More
2 years 2 months ago #990 by CommissionerAnn
Colleagues –

RE: Feb.1 Agenda, Public Hearing #1I am in full support of designating school zones to reduce the speed limits near both Bee Cave Middle School along Vail Divide and Rough Hollow Elementary School along Bee Creek Road.  The middle school is a short way off 71 and near a school bus barn; the elementary school is near a bend in the road; significant growth in the area creates hurry, congestion and confusion especially at school drop off and pick up times.  I have visited both campuses and witnessed the speed concerns.  Moreover, parents and both school and city administrators have repeatedly requested that the County hear their concerns and grant the safety request of reducing the speed limits near both schools.Lake Travis Independent School District has submitted reports prepared by Matthew Gaal P.E. of the Alliance Transportation Group that recommend implementation of school zones in these areas. These engineering recommendations are based upon observation and evaluation of the traffic and pedestrian conditions at the sites. It was determined that pedestrian activity, irregular traffic patterns and future construction warrant the implementation of school zones for safety purposes.Lake Travis ISD has requested a public hearing on these matters pursuant to state law. Tex. Transportation Code Sec.545.357. Under this provision, the Commissioners Court is authorized to implement school zones based upon the public hearing and its own investigation.  Our lawyers have advised that the submitted engineering reports can be considered the Court’s investigation.So after the public hearing, I’m expecting that Lake Travis ISD will ask us to reduce the speed limits and after any further inquiry you feel is needed, I hope that you will support their request. I am prepared to sponsor that request at the earliest date.

Many thanks, Commissioner Ann

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 4.540 seconds

TAX RATE: TRAVIS COUNTY ADOPTED A TAX RATE THAT WILL RAISE MORE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS THAN LAST YEAR’S TAX RATE. THE TAX RATE WILL EFFECTIVELY BE RAISED BY 3.5 PERCENT AND WILL RAISE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS ON A $100,000 HOME BY APPROXIMATELY $9.12.