1. Inform neighbors and landlord that your partner no longer lives with you and that they should call the police if they see your abuser near your home.
  2. Rehearse a safety plan with you children for when you are not with them.
  3. Inform your children’s school or day care about who has permission to pick up you children. Give them a copy of you protective order.
  4. Change or add locks on your doors and windows as soon as possible. Add peephole and increase outdoor light if possible. Try to borrow a portable or cellular phone. Check with you local battered women’s center to see if they distribute cell phones for 911 use.
  5. Change you telephone number.