Travis County Tax Assessor
Information for Students Registering to Vote
As students begin the fall semester at local universities, they have a choice to make about where to register to vote. Students who would like to cast a ballot in Travis County on Election Day must register at their new address by submitting a voter registration application to the Travis County Registrar. The deadline for the November 6 Presidential Election is Tuesday, October 9, 2012. If a student prefers to be registered using a parent’s permanent address in another county or state, they must contact that county’s current election administrator about registration requirements and the absentee ballot process there.
“Everyone is busy moving, unpacking, and starting classes, but with the upcoming deadline there is no time to delay,” said Travis County Tax Assessor-Collector and Voter Registrar, Tina Morton. “We are challenging students to register themselves and help two other citizens register to vote.”
It is easy to participate in the U+2 campaign by picking up a few extra voter registration applications or including a link to the printable application in an e-mail, text, tweet, or Facebook post. If you are new to Travis County or you have moved since the last time you voted, you must update your voter registration record by the deadline. Travis County voters can review their current voter registration record online at www.traviscountytax.org, or contact the Voter Registrar's office by telephone at (512) 854-9473.
How can you register or make changes to your voter registration?
- Come in person to one of the five tax office locations during business hours. Find maps and driving directions to all of our locations at www.traviscountytax.org.
- Mail an application and make sure the US postmark shows Tuesday, October 9th OR EARLIER. Find applications at area post offices, libraries or at www.traviscountytax.org
- Go online to http://www.state.tx.us/NASApp/sos/SOSACManager to update your name or address if you have moved within Travis County.
Interested in attending a voter registration drive? You can find Travis County Volunteer Deputy Registrars assisting voters at a variety of upcoming community events and meetings in Travis County.
- September 10th from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the Pflugerville Community Library, 102 10th Street, Pflugerville, TX 78660
- September 12th at all Austin Community College campuses
- September 18th from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the Conley Conley-Guerrero Senior Activity Center, 808 Nile St. Austin Texas 78702
- September 22nd from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the Sheriff’s Extravaganza, Wells Branch MUD Recreation Center, 3000 Shoreline Drive Austin, TX 78728 (parking and shuttle pick-up will be available from Shoreline Church at 15201 Burnet Road)
For questions about your voter registration status, registering for the first time or updating an existing voter registration record, early voting locations or Election Day polling places, please visit www.traviscountytax.org or call (512) 854-9473.
Last Modified: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:17 PM